
Entry # 4
You know, the funny thing is I thought that making this transition was going to be retchingly difficult when I began my journey. In actuality it has been so damned easy that I really don't have much more to say in terms of the journey ... I am living life happy and secure in my convictions. At the same time it has become a very private internal affair. I'm not wearing an "atheist" badge. I'm not adopting an "in your face" posture (though I have an appreciation for the energy I'm saving in not having to work within a religious framework).
Something interesting worth noting though is my deeper appreciation for life in all its forms. After all, when you contemplate all the slow convolutions our DNA has been through, all the forms it has produced, all the stepping stones along the way, you really do get a rich sense of connectedness ... the tarantula in the library terrarium is just a distant cousin, perfectly adapted to his/her environment just as I am ( am I?). We are not separated by the presence or absence of a soul... we are not hierarchically ranked in terms of image deo/non image deo.
And life itself, short, sweet, - but what we make of it - followed by non existence - the negation /absence of experience. I feel so motivated to do "something" to have an impact, to leave things better than I found them.... and I want to do this not for the reward - there is no reward in non-being - but simply to have the present assurance that in some infinitesimal or maybe some not so infinitesimal way life itself benefited from my being alive.
I enjoyed reading about your journey.
ReplyDelete